Ultimate Ironman Guide

Frost

Trick sucks
Staff member
Server Moderator
Jul 25, 2019
Hey guys,

In this guide I hope to explain some of the methods I use as an ultimate ironman to make life easier. Some parts of my guide can be used by both ultimates and normal ironmen. I will always take feedback from other people, so if you have any tips you want me to add here, let me know and I will get them added.

Special thanks to H E R O, Hatttrickk, and the rest of the Ultimate Ironman community for helping me figure out these methods.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Looting Bag

The looting bag is one of the most important items for an Ultimate Ironman due to us having a very limited amount of storage options. The looting bag allows you to place 28 tradeable items inside of it, while only taking up one inventory space.

In order to get a looting bag, you must kill NPCs located in the wilderness. As we carry all of our items on us at all times, this makes things a little dangerous. A safer method is to teleport to the Edgeville Dungeon via the Runite Wizard. Work your way through the dungeon to the wilderness portion and kill the level 10 thugs. Even though it is not listed on their drop table, they have a 1/30 chance of dropping a looting bag.

On Runite things get a little tricky. With the way death mechanics work, all your items will go to the death chest when you die. The issue that comes with this is your looting bag will stay intact with all of the items staying inside. To get your items out of the looting bag you must destroy it. The problem with destroying it is that all of the contents inside looting bag will fall on to the floor and despawn after a few minutes. This does not allow us enough time to get another looting bag drop and pick our things back up to place inside again.

To work around this we found a new method. Instances can be made at home via the Boss Instance Portal. The cheapest instance costs 300k gold and lasts an hour, but I prefer to use the Kraken instance. Once inside the instance you can drop any item and destroy your looting bag, and they will remain on the floor for the duration of the instance.

Please note that instances will be removed if they are left unattended for longer than 10 minutes and when you logout. There is no warning message for how much time you have left. All items will be lost if they are on the ground and the instance ends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Death Chest

When you die on Runite, you end up at this place. This chest will be your best friend for most of the early game when you are working your way towards max.

Since we always carry everything on us, skilling can become difficult due to the limited amount of inventory spaces. To easily clear up some inventory you can die anywhere and the death chest will hold all of your tradeable items for you. I personally like to use Zulrah.

You have to unlock your items in the death chest, but you are able to remove your cash stack from the chest without unlocking it. The amount of gold required is based off of your total level and the items that are held in the death chest. If you die again with items still inside the chest, they will disappear.

Noted Food

There are two types of food we are able to get noted, shark and monkfish. We will be going over both methods in this section. We will start with noted raw shark.

Noted Shark

To get noted raw shark you will need 82 fishing and a small fishing net. Once you have both, make your way to the Fishing Guild via the Runite Wizard.

Once at the fishing guild, run to the north side of the docks and travel to the platform via the row boat in the water by Kylie Minnow.

At this dock you can fish minnows. Minnows require your attention almost constantly in order to get a lot of them since the fishing spot moves often in this small area. Minnows can be traded to Kylie Minnow on the platform. 40 minnows are worth 1 noted shark when traded.

Noted Raw and Cooked Monkfish

Noted monkfish are much easier to get than sharks. We are able to get an unlimited amount of monkfish as long as we have enough money to pay for them. Start off by going to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony via the Runite wizard. Once you are there make your way towards the bank in the center.

You want to talk to Arnold Lydspor and ask him if he would like to trade. If you try to trade him via right click, this will not work. He will be walking around or inside the bank area.

Once inside his shop you can buy as many raw or cooked monkfish as you want. To get them noted, you have to buy more than your inventory can hold and they will note. Raw monkfish are 230 coins each and cooked are 960 coins each.

Last edited:

Frost

Trick sucks
Staff member
Server Moderator
Jul 25, 2019
The Unlimited Super Strength Potion

One of the items that make bossing much nicer is the Dragon Battleaxe, or as I like to call it, the unlimited super strength potion. The dragon battleaxe is normally quite easy to get on the main game, but on Runite things get a lot more fun. There are two ways of obtaining the dragon battleaxe on Runite, Vorkath and Alchemical Hydra.

Vorkath has a drop rate of 1/196 for the dragon battleaxe.

Alchemical Hydra has a drop rate of 1/37 and requires a slayer task of hydra to kill.

Once you have this beautiful item, you can use the special attack of it which acts as a Super Strength potion while lowering your attack and defence levels. The perk of Runite is that we have the Runite Nurse to heal us back up and restore our stats. She's nice though and leaves our strength level boosted up while restoring our attack and defence as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tzhaar Mining and Smithing Method

The Tzhaar mining and smithing method is the best way to train mining and smithing for ultimate ironmen to avoid a lot of teleporting. To start this method you teleport via the Runite wizard to Tzhaar.

Once here you will walk a little to the east where the gold rocks are. There are three of them here and that should be plenty to keep yourself mining until your inventory is full. By using the death chest storage method found earlier in the guide, you can carry more gold per trip.

After your inventory is full of gold ores, you will walk to the south where the lava forge is at. The lava forge acts as a furnace, allowing you to smelt your gold ore into bars. Make sure to wear your goldsmithing gauntlets to increase your experience per hour!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Herblore Training

If you've ever played the ultimate ironman mode, I think we can all agree that the Herblore skill sucks. Fortunately for us on Runite, we have a method that makes this a lot more tolerable. For this method you will need 73 Herblore and at least 12 million gold to get to 99. This method is around 1gp/xp so you can calculate how much gold you need for whatever level you are trying to achieve. Make your way over to Sigmund to start this method.

Open up his shop and buy equal amounts of coconut milk, red spider's eggs, and cactus spines. Optimally you want at least 15 inventory spaces open so you can quickly buy 5 of each.

Once these items are in your inventory, use either the red spider's eggs or the cactus spines on the vial of coconut milk and mix them together. Drop the weapon poisons and repeat. Enjoy your easy 99 Herblore!

Making Potions

Once you are at 99 Herblore from using the previous method, you will want to know how to make potions as efficiently as possible with a limited inventory. The herb sack makes potion making so much nicer for us. To obtain a herb sack you can either buy it from the Slayer Reward shop at Nieve for 750 slayer points, or you can purchase it from the donation store for 100 credits.

By using the herb sack, you are able to empty it, clean the amount of herbs you would like to use, and then fill it again with the rest of the dirty herbs. Shown in the image below is how I am able to get inventory space for vials of water and secondaries to finish making my potions.

After your potions are made, you can right-click on Mac located near Sigmund and decant-potions. I decant all of mine into 1 dose which notes them in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickIam

Frost

Trick sucks
Staff member
Server Moderator
Jul 25, 2019
Wintertodt

One of the most important places for any Ironman on the road to maxing is Wintertodt. Wintertodt is a minigame requiring 50 Firemaking to play. In order to get there you need to teleport via the Runite wizard. Wintertodt is located in the minigames section.

Wintertodt is the fastest Firemaking experience in-game and it also offers large amounts of experience in Woodcutting, Fletching, and Construction on your way to 99 Firemaking. If you have never played Wintertodt before, I highly recommend you check out a guide to know what you are doing when you get there.

After you complete a game of Wintertodt, you will be rewarded with a large amount of Firemaking experience and some loot crates. For every 500 points, you will receive 1 loot crate. Loot crates give several great rewards that are useful to ironmen such as teak and mahogany logs, ores, herbs, and tree seeds. The complete list of rewards is below.

The Max Cape

Congratulations, you finally made it through the hell we call maxing. One of the greatest achievements you can get on the game. It's a great feeling to achieve it, but I'm here to break the bad news to you. You chose Ultimate Ironman at the start of the game and it's useless to us.

The way we store items to free inventory space works is that you need both the max cape and the hood to store it in the cape rack in our player-owned house. Every time that you want to wear that precious max cape, you have to carry around the hood as well or drop the cape when you are done with it. On Runite the max cape doesn't have any features or teleports, so it is better to store it in your house as a fashion item. The imbued god capes and the fire cape are much better options as they are storable and offer better stats than the max cape.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatrickIam

kakashi

Server Moderator
Staff member
Server Moderator
Runite Member
Jul 26, 2019
Great guide, making me want to make an UIM!

Frost

Trick sucks
Staff member
Server Moderator
Jul 25, 2019
Thanks buddy, glad to have you apart of the community!

Tazaran

Bronze Member
Runite Member
Jul 20, 2019
Michigan
Great guide, Frost.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your instance is cancelled if you log out? Either that or my 10-minute timer must have expired while I was logged?

Frost

Trick sucks
Staff member
Server Moderator
Jul 25, 2019
Great guide, Frost.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your instance is cancelled if you log out? Either that or my 10-minute timer must have expired while I was logged?
You are correct, instances are cancelled on log out. I will add that to my guide. Thanks!

Reactions: Tazaran